Re: How can you programmatically tell that audio is playing?

Christian Brink wrote:
> How can you programmatically tell that audio is playing or at least
> being sent to the soundcard?
>
> I've got an application that occasionally fails to pick up a remote
> stream, but the process hangs around so I can't tell that it failed just
> by checking the process list. I would like to be able to tell if  the
> application is sending audio or not so I can retry.
>
> I've checked the archives, googled, and tried cat'ing /dev/audio (which
> seems to return data whether or not audio is playing).

Check the files
/proc/asound/cardX/pcmYp/subZ/[status|hw_params|sw_params], where X,Y
and Z is the soundcard, device and subdevice you want to monitor. If
nothing is being sent to the soundcard it should contain "closed".
Unfortunately you need to activate "verbose proc something" in your
kernel, which most distributions don't have by default.

I've also written some small (and really buggy) program to monitor all
devices and subdevices of a soundcard but you still need that kernel
option or it will crash. You can get it here:
http://stinfwww.informatik.uni-leipzig.de/~mai00bgn/aproc/ (source code
only). Sorry for the propaganda.

Cheers,
Jan