how to set default sound output?

I have an Acer AX1200 with nVidia 8200 HDMI.  Running Ubuntu 8.10

By installing the nVidia 177.82 drivers, and alsa 1.0.18a I've been able to get 5.1 output from maplayer (using -ao alsa:device=hw=0.3) and from VLC (settings.audio (advanced). output modules. alsa. HDA Nvidia: NVIDIA HDMI (hw,0,3)

what I can't figure out is how to make all other sound go out HDMI...

ie in Firefox, if I go to a YouTube video... no sound.

I have run alsamixer and un-muted everything (which I expect I needed to get mplayer and VLC working).

In Ubuntu, System.Preferences.Sound I have set all of the pulldown menus to both Autodetect (but the check mark test produces no sound) and then to "HDA NVidaia NVIDIA HDMI (ALSA)" at which point the checkbox works.  (these settings to not appear to influence mplayer/vlc at all since I am explicitly telling them where to output sound?)
I've also tried both the HDA NVidia (Alsa mixer) and Generic 10de NVIDIA MCP78 HDMI (OSS Mixer)

From other forums I also tried adding

pcm.!default {
        type hw
        0
        3
}

to /etc/asound.conf

and I ran alsaconf after that.

Again, no dice.

aplay -l puts my HDMI at card 0, device 3 (which is what works for the mplayer command listed earlier).

How do I tell the system to send all sounds thru HDMI by default (instead of telling each tool by itself) ?

thanks,
Mike

Send e-mail faster without improving your typing skills. Get your Hotmail® account.