MPD's ReplayGain causing 66% of CPU spent in `system'

I use a WL-700gE home router as jukebox, running `mpd'.
Until recently the systems worked fine, using around 20-30% of CPU to
play my Ogg files.  But recently, it started to skip while playing those
same files.  After some investigation it turned out that `mpd' now
uses 98% of CPU, and that `opt' says more than 60% is spent in `sys'
rather than in `user'.  Investigating further I discovered that the
problem is triggered by enabling ReplayGain in mpd.conf.

I.e. `mpd's ReplayGain causes the kernel to spend more than 60% of CPU
time doing some extra work, apparently doing some kind of software
volume control in the ALSA code (maybe because it uses floating
point operations whereas my CPU doesn't have an FPU?).

Is there some way I can fix this problem (other than turning off mpd's
ReplayGain)?

        Stefan