no sound via HDMI audio on nvida 8200

New user to Ubuntu.. daily _user_ of unix, but new to the admin side.. I try to follow directions well, but ask that you may need to use small words.. thanks for your patience.

I have an Acer AX1200, which has an HDMI port on the included nVidia 8200.  I have confirmed audio working under Windows (the system shipped with Windows), but my intended use is primarily *nix of some flavor, with Ubuntu being what I picked first.

I used Wubi to install a dual-boot version of Ubuntu 8.10

Per some other debug adivce I then (hopefully) upgraded ALSA to 1.0.18a.

At this point aplay -l gives

card 0: NVidia [HDA NVidia], device 0: ALC888 Analog [ALC888 Analog]
  Subdevices: 0/1
  Subdevice #0: subdevice #0
card 0: NVidia [HDA NVidia], device 1: ALC888 Digital [ALC888 Digital]
  Subdevices: 1/1
  Subdevice #0: subdevice #0

and alsamixer offers me these volume adjustments

-Master
-Headphones
-PCM
-Front
-Front Mic
-Front Mic Boost
-Surround
-Center
-Lfe
-Line
-Mic
-Mic Boost
-IEC958
-IEC958 D

I compiled alsa with --with-cards=hda-intel and --with-card-options=hda-codec-realtek,hda-codec-nvhdmi

I also added

options snd-hda-intel model=auto probe_mask=1

to the end of /etc/modprobe.d/alsa-base

I'm not sure which setting to pick in the Ubuntu Volume (upper right) widget, nor in the System Pref-Volume panel.. but I've tried about every combination at this point.

Thanks for any help!
Mike

Suspicious message? There’s an alert for that. Get your Hotmail® account now.