via82xx: unreliable audio, strange mixer behavior

Hi,

I'm using snd-via82xx on an Ubuntu 8.04 system.  I've attached the output of
alsa-info.sh.

Here are the symptoms:

Audio goes away after a semi-random interval.  Sometimes it returns after
`modprobe -r snd-via82xx' followed by `modprobe snd-via82xx', but sometimes it
seems to take a full reboot.

This looks similar to:

https://bugtrack.alsa-project.org/alsa-bug/view.php?id=3194

Some folks think that this kind of issue is triggered by audio volume being
above a certain level.  I'm not entirely sure if this is true, but I think it
is.  One time, I apparently triggered the issue by unplugging and replugging the
audio cable from the mainboard during playback.

Audio can be heard even when the PCM volume level is 0 (as told by alsamixer).
The volume does get louder when I turn up that mixer control, but it never goes
away entirely when I turn the volume to zero.  Mute works as expected.

This issue is impacting a significant project for me and my company.  I'm
willing to spend as much time as it takes to debug, and I'm fairly technical.  I
can also offer a bounty of some sort, if that interests anyone.

Can anyone offer any input?

Thanks,
Forest
--