Re: (no subject)

On Fri, 7 Nov 2008, dar@xxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

> Hi all,
>  I'm trying to setup my Aspire One so I can record what's playing on the
> sound card. I've got pretty far (compiled in snd-aloop, andit works), but
> I'm looking for some help to tidy up the process for novices...
>  (At the moment I need to reboot every time I switch between the internal
> sound card and snd-aloop).
>
>  To record audio currently, I set snd-aloop to be the default sound card
> by making it load as card 0 by setting "options snd-aloop index=0" in
> /etc/modprobe.d/modprobe.conf.dist and rebooting.
>
> Then, to make sound come out the speakers, I use a pipe to send data from
> snd-aloop to the sound card $ arecord -D hw:0,1 -f cd | aplay -D hw:1 -f cd
>
>  and if I want to record anything, I stop that and restart it but
> intercept the data with a tee... $ arecord -D hw:0,1 -f cd | tee
> myrecording | aplay -D hw:1 -f cd
>
>  Then when I'm done, recording, I set snd-aloop's index back to 1 and
> reboot (which causes the sound card to load as the default driver again).
>
>  So, I've figured most of this out, so it probably utterly the wrong way
> to do this (is there something I can put in .asoundrc to avoid having to
> reboot?) - any help configuring this properly now I know it's possible to
> listen and record at the same time is much appreciated.
>
>  Thanks in advance,
>     -Duncan.

> may still contain software viruses, which could damage your computer system:

Why not make your onboard the default sound card and make sound-aloop be
card 1 always. Then if you want to record, just send the data to card 1
instead of card 0. Your problem is that you want to keep switching the
default . It is easier to switch the sound card being used than
switching the default.

Note that you could also simply unload all the sound modules, change the
modprobe.conf and then reload them with modprobe.
(reboot is rarely needed in linux-- changing kernels, and relieving
stuck IO are the only cases I can think of)