aconnect, MIDI clock and emagic USB MIDI racks

Hi All

Last night (aussie time) I emailed about an issue I am having with my emagic MIDI racks (unitor 8 and amt8) with MIDI clock with ALSA.

I have since discovered there are no filters operational on the units that should prevent MIDI clock messages from being broadcast while in computer mode (connected to ALSA via USB).

Scenario is port 1 input is receiving MIDI information from myh/w sequencer including MIDI clock and passing it to a device on port 3 which requires both the note and CC information along with the midi clock (syncing effects). This is one example, in my setup there are some devices which only require note or cc information and others which also require sync.. and in the case of using a secondary drum machine, requires sync and cc information.

What is happening is that the MIDI clock information is only being transmitted while there is note or CC information being passed through at the same time... hence sync is not kept. (and strange MIDI buffer overloads e.t.c..  are occuring on the receiving device).

Is this a limitation of ALSA midi? (It just won't do it).. or something I have done...

I can think of a few options to try when I get home, but am hoping someone may know the answer.      Here is what I am thinking....

a) I need to use aconnect with either the --tick or --realtime option enabled.
b) I need to connect the broadcast port of the device to the output port (I have no idea what the function of the broadcast port is for... so I am clutching at straws here, guessing it may have something to do with MIDI clock)
c) something wrong with my kernel configuration (e.g. have I chosen tickless system or some other option that is causing this issue)

If anyone can help me this would be awesome as I am trying to finish off some tracks for digital release in December, but and not having to use my currently convoluted setup (the amt-8 is plugged into USB and the unitor is standalone, with one port sending to the other device so it can be picked up in the PC limiting me to one computer port for 6 of my MIDI device)

Looking forward to hearing from anyone with any help.

cheers

Allan