Re: Gina3g and capture input

On Thu, 30 Oct 2008 11:26:44 +0100
conrad berhörster <cb@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> > Michael Westermann <michael@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > > I've a problem with a echoaudio Gina3g card with ans external box.
> > >
> > > 01:07.0 Class 0480: 1057:3410 (rev 01)
> > >
> > > We use the capture input over the jackd server. With the linux
> > > kernel 2.6.15.x and the echoaudio echo3g driver from the
> > > alsa-dreiver 1.0.10 package it works fine.
> >
> > 1.0.10 is very old...
>
> yes, but this version works. MIchael tries to find the defect and isolate it.
> Since it is a new hardware, he tries the run it with the old kernel, alsa
> drivers and so forth....
>

> > > in the echo3g driver from the alsa 1.0.10 package are in the firmware
> > > for the gina3G in the firmware array:
> >
> > Since firmware version "B2" (september 2005 IIRC) these is one DSP firmware
> > for both Gina3G and Layla3G.
> fine. and this will be included in the alsa kernel packages. there is no extra
> installation of firmware or what ever, right?

No, the new version requires the new firmware. I don't remember if the new
driver still works (for pure luck) with the old firmware of the Gina3G. The
new firware is preferrable anyway because it fixes some problems:

"
-New firmware for Gina3G & Layla3G that fixes pops and clicks with
simultaneous MIDI and audio I/O.  There is now only one DSP firmware image
for both Gina3G and Layla3G.

-New FPGA & DSP code to correct problems with S/PDIF at 96 kHz on Gina3G
(note new, longer timeout required in C3gDco.cpp)
"

It no longer supports 8KHz, though.

> > Does arecord work ?
> > (arecord -f cd file.wav)
> yes, arecord  works fine (without any notable error) , but it produces no
> valuable data. This means, the file has only zero-data of filelenght.
> it seems for us, that the driver cannot grab the data from the input and put
> it into the (alsa) buffer.
>
> Do you have any idea, how to go further. Do you think it make sense to
> reinstall the whole (new) alsa packages from scratch.

Well, update the firmware first (and remove the old files).
Then you can try to update alsa-lib. Even though the ALSA developers try to
keep the maximum compatibility in order to not break userspace
applications, there might be problems with very different versions.

--
Giuliano.