Dmix plugin using "ipc_key_add_uid"

I'm setting up ALSA to allow for multiple non root users to
similtanously access audio (meaning I'm using dmix).

I've been doing some reading and it seems I need to do the following.

1) "ipc_perms" to "0666"  (or similar to allow non root access)
2) "ipc_key_add_uid" to "false"
3) "chmod" the files under "/dev/snd/*" to "0666" (or similar to allow
non root access)

This all seems to work, but I don't feel I've found a satifiying answer
as to why someone might or might not want to set "ipc_key_add_uid".

I understand that separate IPC resources are allocated for different
users when this flag set.

In my case where I have one sound card and multple users, it makes sense
that I only have one shared memory buffer in order to allow mixing of
sounds from multiple users.

But in what case would someone want to enable "ipc_key_add_uid" ?

Thanks,
CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE: The contents of this email are confidential
and for the exclusive use of the intended recipient. If you receive this
email in error, please delete it from your system immediately and
notify us either by email, telephone or fax. You should not copy,
forward, or otherwise disclose the content of the email.