Re: 24-bit and 96KHz file

Amaury De Ganseman wrote:
> Ok, thanks for your answer.
>
> But why don't use 96KHz as samplerate for output ? Why downsample to
> 48KHz ? Use the native samplerate is too complicated ;-) ?
>
> I know that alsa by default use 48KHz (dmix) but if my song is in
> 96KHz why not use this SR ?
>

> Thanks
>

> On Wed, Sep 3, 2008 at 3:20 PM, Vladimir Mosgalin
> <mosgalin@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> Hi Amaury De Ganseman!
>>
>>  On 2008.09.03 at 13:16:42 +0200, Amaury De Ganseman wrote next:
>>
>>> I have a 24-bit/96KHz file.
>>> When I play it, it says that it plays in s16_le and samplerate ouput
>>> is 48KHz (I see that on my hardware equaliser).
>>> I have an ESI Juli@ and use the alsa driver of the 2.6.26.
>> ffmpeg doesn't have a (proper) support of 24-bit audio. Even when it can
>> be read, it's trimmed to 16-bit for processing & output. There seems to
>> be some progress in this area; if 24-bit audio is important to you, ask
>> for details in ffmpeg-users mailing list.
>>
>> --
>>
>> Vladimir

Because if you're using dmix, it will require all streams are at the
same samplerate. If you want to use dmix, change it to resample
everything to 96kHz (or higher) rather than 48kHz. There is a 'rate'
parameter for this. Alternatively just output directly to the hardware
device (hw:0,0) or similar.

If you're having problems with mplayer, Audacious will playback high
resolution files nicely.

Cheers,
-ol