Alsa-lib and ladspa

I read about bug fixes for alsa when using ladspa plugins and
multi-channel audio. My setup is kernel 2.6.21.7 with alsa-lib
(1.0.17a). However, I'm wondering what if any other alsa packages I'm
required to upgrade in order for ladspa multi-channel plugins to work?
Specifically, I'm attempting to create a 2.1 low pass filter (see
http://alsa.opensrc.org/index.php/Low-pass_filter_for_subwoofer_channel_
(HOWTO)). I'm attempting to use the referred to asound.conf from the low
pass filter HOW-TO but I've noticed the following:

1) The upmix_20to51 device is listed as type "plug" but seems to need to
be "route" ? I use "plug" I get the error "pcm_params.c:170:
snd1_pcm_hw_param_get_min: Assertion `!snd_interval_empty(i)' failed"
2) If I directly use the upmix_20to51 device, but change the slave to
"plughw", I get the expected 3 channel output
3) If I directly use the lowpass_21to21 device, but change the slave to
"plughw", low pass filtering works
4) If I directly use the upmix_21to51 device, but change the slave to
"plughw", I get the expected 6 channel output

So my plug-in chain seem to have issues communicating with each other?
Anybody with similar experiences, thoughts, or comments? It would be
very appreciated.

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE: The contents of this email are confidential
and for the exclusive use of the intended recipient. If you receive this
email in error, please delete it from your system immediately and
notify us either by email, telephone or fax. You should not copy,
forward, or otherwise disclose the content of the email.