Re: sound-problems with ALC262

Tobias Kaefer wrote:

> Hello!
>
> I just got a new workstation. It's an Fujitsu-Siemens Esprimo P5625 with
> an on-board ALC262 sound chip. I'm running a Kubuntu 8.04.1 on that system.
>
> The sound I get from that chip is really horrible. There are
> cracks and some kind of a reverberation in there.

What does it sound like using aplay directly?

aplay -vv some.wav

Is there any kind of sound server in the stream that
could be causing problems?

> I compiled the recent version of alsa (1.0.17) and I tried all the
> model-options for /etc/modprobe.d/alsa-base.

Good work!

> So I don't know what else I could do...
> Does anyone have hint for me or even better a solution?

Could you run a script which provides more information
about your sound setup and post the link back here?
The script is found at
http://www.alsa-project.org/alsa-info.sh

> Thanks in advance
> Tobias
>
> - --
> Mit freundlichen Gruessen / with kind regards
>
> Tobias S. Käfer

This might be a problem with the driver because you are
  running a new system and it is unrecognized.  If
there are no obvious fixes from the shell script
output, you should probably post this question and the
shell script output on the alsa-devel mailing list.  It
might be the driver needs new code added for your
system.  You could act as tester.  ;-)