Re: Which 96kHz card ?

Vaclav Peroutka wrote:
> Hello all,
>
> I started to experimenting with Software Defined Radio so I need some higher quality sound card. I could buy Creative SB Audigy SE which has 24bit stereo sampling @96kHz but it is not yet supported.
>
> Can somebody here recommend me some other 24b/96kHz card which is supported by ALSA and has at least good SNR ?
>
> Thank you in advance,
> Vaclav

Certainly not an exhaustive list, and I don't have experience with most
of these, but I believe the m-audio 2496 is supported by alsa and
otherwise meets your needs. I think the Juli@ is also supported, and
I've certainly heard extremely positive reviews of it from a quality
standpoint. Personally I have an Echo Indigo IO, but that's a notebook
card so probably not what you want.
Look through the matrix on the wiki to see if X card is supported.
Also, I would avoid creative. Their reputation for quality is not very
good (or extremely poor, if you listen to some people, but if you do
that then most things suck according to someone), and some/many/all of
the audigy range resample everything to 48kHz *I've heard*. I was never
entirely clear if it was 48kHz or a multiple of 48kHz. Obviously quite
an important distinction here.

I hope there was something useful in there somewhere!
Cheers,
-ol