Re: Problems with external microphone with STAC9228

Marcus Better wrote:
Matthias Breier wrote:
on my Dell Inspiron 1525 with Sigmatel STAC9228 audio chip I have a small
but rather inconvenient problem. Everything except the microphone jack in
front of the notebook seems to work correctly. The external microphone of
my headset records only noise, when I use it in Linux.

hi,

i've been succesfully playing with mic input, these days, on my Dell Studio 15 (alsa called Inspiron 1535), and i think it could help you.

now, i can use both (each at a time) the internal mic (next to the webcam on top of the display) and an external one connected to the Mic LineIn Jack Port.

don't know if my hints can help you, as i have a lightly different codec (92HD73C1) with this subsystem 0x10280254

you can find the info here: /proc/asound/card0/codec#0

=====================
andrea@nb-andrea:~$ head /proc/asound/card0/codec#0
Codec: IDT 92HD73C1X5
Address: 0
Vendor Id: 0x111d7675
Subsystem Id: 0x10280254
Revision Id: 0x100202
No Modem Function Group found
Default PCM:
   rates [0x5e0]: 44100 48000 88200 96000 192000
   bits [0xe]: 16 20 24
   formats [0x1]: PCM
=======================

now, if i want to capture voice from one input (i tried both skype and audacity) i have to set these three controls:

amixer sset 'Mic Mixer' 80% cap

amixer sset 'Capture' 80% cap

amixer sset 'Digital' 80%

you could vary the levels depending on your needings..

then i have to switch between internal (embedded) and external mic with these command:

for embedded:

*  amixer sset 'Digital Input Source' 'Digital Mic 1'

for external mic:

*  amixer sset 'Digital Input Source'  'Analog Inputs'

that's all. hope it helps!

you can find some more stuff, together with info about Linux on this Dell computer, on this page :

 http://www.avalpa.com/assets/andrea/studio15/debian_on_dell_studio15.html

bye

andrea venturi

begin:vcard
fn:Andrea Venturi
n:;Andrea Venturi
org:Avalpa Digital Engineering SRL
adr;dom:;;Via dell'Arcoveggio 49/5;Bologna;BO;40129
email;internet:a.venturi@xxxxxxxxxx
title:CEO
tel;work:+39 0514187531
tel;cell:+39 3477142994