Multiple cards output - HDMI and optical

Hi,

I''ve been trying to get audio output from multiple cards working but
have not had much luck.
What I would like to happen is for 2 channel stereo audio to work over
the HDMI connector (to TV) and 5.1 channel DD and/or DTS to work over
the optical output (to receiver) simultaneously.

Below is my current .asoundrc file. It is the closest I've come to
getting the required outputs to work. Usually I get only one of the
outputs working.

pcm.hdmi {
  type hw
  card 3
  device 3
}

pcm.optical {
  type hw
  card 0
  device 1
}

pcm.multi {
  type multi
  slaves.a.pcm "hdmi"
  slaves.a.channels 2
  slaves.b.pcm "optical"
  slaves.b.channels 2

  bindings.0.slave a
  bindings.0.channel 0
  bindings.1.slave a
  bindings.1.channel 1

  bindings.2.slave b
  bindings.2.channel 0
  bindings.3.slave b
  bindings.3.channel 1
}

The outputs of aplay -l and aplay -L follow:

pvr@orion:~$ aplay -l
card 0: SB [HDA ATI SB], device 0: ALC882 Analog [ALC882 Analog]
  Subdevices: 1/1
  Subdevice #0: subdevice #0
card 0: SB [HDA ATI SB], device 1: ALC882 Digital [ALC882 Digital]
  Subdevices: 1/1
  Subdevice #0: subdevice #0
card 3: HDMI [HDA ATI HDMI], device 3: ATI HDMI [ATI HDMI]
  Subdevices: 1/1
  Subdevice #0: subdevice #0

pvr@orion:~$ aplay -L
default:CARD=SB
    HDA ATI SB, ALC882 Analog
    Default Audio Device
front:CARD=SB,DEV=0
    HDA ATI SB, ALC882 Analog
    Front speakers
surround40:CARD=SB,DEV=0
    HDA ATI SB, ALC882 Analog
surround41:CARD=SB,DEV=0
    HDA ATI SB, ALC882 Analog
surround50:CARD=SB,DEV=0
    HDA ATI SB, ALC882 Analog
surround51:CARD=SB,DEV=0
    HDA ATI SB, ALC882 Analog
surround71:CARD=SB,DEV=0
    HDA ATI SB, ALC882 Analog
iec958:CARD=SB,DEV=0
    HDA ATI SB, ALC882 Digital
    IEC958 (S/PDIF) Digital Audio Output
null
default:CARD=SAA7134
    SAA7134, SAA7134 PCM
default:CARD=SAA7134_1
    SAA7134, SAA7134 PCM

Can anyone help me get this working correctly? Any hints would be
greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Vitaly