Re: is this card supported by ALSA?

> Date: Fri, 18 Jul 2008 18:31:14 +0200
> From: rene.herman@xxxxxxxxxxxx
> To: b3zdomny@xxxxxxxxxxx
> CC: tiwai@xxxxxxx; alsa-user@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx; alsa-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx; alsa@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
> Subject: Re: is this card supported by ALSA?
>
> On 16-07-08 20:50, Rene Herman wrote:
>
> > Moreover, the AC97 codec seems integrated in the EV1938. Just found a
> > patch for FreeBSD following up a similar report for your card. Will
> > look at it tomorrow.
>
> Nothing interesting. Ready to give up on this. There is a communication
> problem with the AC97 codec and that's the kind of thing which is almost
> impossible to debug via email, especially since apparently this is not
> different for the OSS driver; it's also not getting back a valid ID at
> least.
>
> I do wonder a bit if that might mean that the only difference is the
> ALSA "mute by default" behaviour. The attached patch does away with the
> default muting of the AC97 controls. You'd apply it as before (after
> reverting the previous 2 patches as written earlier), "make", "make
> modules_install" and then load snd-ens1371:
>
> # modprobe -r es1371
> # modprobe -r snd-ens1371
> # modprobe snd-ens1371
>
> and then "aplay foo.wav" (without first starting alsamixer). If no
> sound, adjust levels in alsamixer, retry aplay, if no sound, reboot (to
> get the card to a startup state) and retry after the above 3 modprobes.
>
> If for some unimagineable reason you still need "alsaconf" instead of
> just modprobe snd-ens1371 to load the driver, adjust accordingly. Have
> no idea why that would be the case.
>
> If as expected you still have no sound I give up. Stared at this stuff,
> but am not seeing anything stand out. If you ever decide to replace the
> card and can find an ALSA developer in your neighbourhood to donate it
> to that could be interesting. I've never seen an EV1938 locally here;
> distribution is probably limited to the US.
>
> Rene.

Thank you so much, Rene.  I will do these procedures, but in the meantime I have OSS in full swing.  Do I need to do something to turn off or uninstall OSS before proceeding with the above procedures?  Thank you.

Best regards from North-Central California where the forest fires are increasingly under control and our skies are finally more clear,

Landis

Time for vacation? WIN what you need. Enter Now!