Re: Audiophile 2496, alsamixer and openSuse 10.3

Klaus Zeitler wrote:
> Hello,
> I'm having a lot of trouble setting up my sound card (audiophile 2496)
> under openSuse 10.3 (with gnome). At first I had no sound at all.
> I spent a lot of time with google (too many matches for alsa and openSuse :-)
> and figured out to install alsa-firmware. Then I reconfigured the sound
> card via yast2, but still no sound. Then I found out about alsamixer.
> With alsamixer I was finally able to enable sound (I just increased the values
> for all sliders wherever it was possible). Unfortunately I don't know much
> about sound configuration and I'm totally lost looking at all those
> items and sliders that alsamixer provides.
>
> It looks as if alsamixer is not initialized properly. When it came up the
> first time, the sliders seemed to be at random values. Also the item list
> seemed a bit odd, e.g. the first item "IEC958" showed as value: "IEC958 I",
> the 2nd item "IEC958 1" showed as value "Digital".
> Since most of these items come in pairs, like e.g. ADC and ADC 1, I think
> that's for left and right.
>
> alsamixer playback shows the following items:
>   IEC958  IEC958 1      ADC     ADC 1       DAC      DAC 1    Deemphas
>      H/W     H/W 1    Multi   Multi 1   Multi 2    Multi 3     Multi 4
>  Multi 5   Multi 6  Multi 7   Multi 8   Multi 9   Multi Tr (9 times)
>
> alsamixer capture shows these items:
> IEC958 M IEC958 M    ADC     ADC 1     DAC      DAC 1   H/W Mult H/W Mult
> Multi Tr Multi Tr
>
> I just modified the sliders with alsamixer and tried aplay and arecord.
> This worked for playback, but capture doesn't seem to work at all,
> no matter what I tried with alsamixer.

There is a special mixer control for the envy24 cards
that run the ICE1712 driver.
http://alsa.opensrc.org/index.php/Ice1712

> To sum up here are a few questions about alsamixer:
> 1) How do I make sure that alsamixer is properly initialized
> 2) What value should the first 2 items (IEC958) have? I've set them to "IEC958"
> 3) What is the recommended value for Deemphas
> 4) What are the items "H/W" and "H/W 1", the values look odd IMHO
>    (first is set to "IEC958 I", 2nd to "PCM Out"). I had to set them
>    both to "PCM Out".
> 5) What are the 10 "Multi" and 9 "Multi Tr"
>    Besides some of them have number as values, some have sliders
> 6) Is there a good User docu for alsamixer (besides man alsamixer)
>

> Quite a few questions I know, but I hope that some kind soul will help me.
> I've attached alsa-info.txt below. Thanks for your time and help.

I recommend you upgrade to the latest alsa versions as
1.0.17 final just came out.  It probably won't make
much difference for your card as it has been around for
awhile, but there have been a lot of fixes since 1.0.14
and one of them might have affected it.