Re: ESS AudioDrive ES1869

On 10-07-08 16:00, Arthur Marsh wrote:

> By running the "Compaq Setup for Portables" boot floppy (delayed by my
> original floppy going bad /-:), I could reset the ESS1869 to use DMA
> channels 0 and 1, which results in an automatically working set-up (-:.
>
> Thanks for all the helpful suggestions!

Okay, thank you. It would be possible to simply have Linux limit the
possible PNP resources so that it would never be assigned a 16-bit
channel in the first place (by Linux, that is) but given that it was
settable through the setup I guess we shouldn't really do that for now.
The BIOS probably activates the chip itself and at that point Linux
hasn't had the opportunity yet to do so which would just be confusing
things further.

I'll keep this in mind though and if I ever get a change to test 16-bit
DMA locally on that chip might I follow up on it.

Thanks.

Rene.