Re: ESS AudioDrive ES1869

Rene Herman wrote, on 10/07/08 09:56:
> On 10-07-08 01:24, Arthur Marsh wrote:
>
>> Hi, I am having trouble getting sound working in an old Compaq Armada
>> 1750 with an ESS AudioDrive ES1869.
>>
>> Even when it's working (verified by aplay some-sound.wav), KDE 3.5.9
>> sound doesn't always work )-:.
>
> KDE 3.5.9 uses aRts which, I'm sorry to say, is simply unsalvageable.
>
>> Attached are a working and non-working configurations from alsa-info.sh
>
> The difference would seem to be that your working configuration uses two
> 8-bit DMA channels (dma1=0, dma2=1) while the non-working one uses a
> 16-bit channel for dma2 (the playback channel). The driver source indeed
> warns that 16-bit DMA appears broken.
>
> It's the Compaq BIOS which tells the driver which resources the card can
> use so does it perhaps provide a way to fix the DMA channel(s) to 8-bit
> channels (0,1 and 3)?
>
>> What appears to be needed is a way to forcing the sound chip into a
>> known working start upon start-up.
>>
>> Does anyone have any suggestions?
>
> The BIOS route is preferred but if the setup provides nothing useful you
> should be able to force the channels by echoing stuff into /sys before
> the driver loads.
>
> To test, unload the driver
>
> 	# modprobe -r snd-es18xx
>
> and do a
>
> 	# cat /sys/devices/pnp0/00:0c/resources
>
> It should at this point be "state=disabled". Force the DMA channels by
> doing:
>
> 	# echo -n set dma 0 dma 1 > /sys/devices/pnp0/00:0c/resources
>
> and reload the driver:
>
> 	# modprobe snd-es18xx
>
> Another
>
> 	# cat /sys/devices/pnp0/00:0c/resources
>
> should now confirm that the chip is using dma channels 0 and 1 and sound
> is expected to work.
>
> You're not going to want to do this at each boot and given the 16-bit
> DMA channel comment and lack of es18xx hardware that can use DMA by both
> author and myself I get the feeling that simply disabling 16-bit DMA
> might be the best thing and this might be worth a PnP quirk, certainly
> if you can't actually force an 8-bit channel in the BIOS.
>
> Your /sys/devices/pnp0/00:0c/id should say either ES1968 or ES1978.
> Which one? Could you also post your /sys/devices/pnp0/00:0c/options?
>
> The contents of /sys/devices/pnp0/00:0c/resources directly at bootup
> before the driver has loaded is also interesting. To keep the driver
> from loading on a udev system, you probably need to blacklist it
> temporarily (add snd-es18xx to /etc/modprobe.d/blacklist).

Sound is now working with the following setting:

$ cat /proc/asound/cards
  0 [ES1869         ]: ES1869 - ESS AudioDrive ES1869
                       ESS AudioDrive ES1869 at 0x220, irq 5, dma1 1, dma2 5

but there is some spurious clicking after playing some sounds.

If I blacklist the driver from udev, would I then need to manually load
the driver after forcing the settings on the device?

$ cat /sys/devices/pnp0/00:0c/id
ESS1869
$ cat /sys/devices/pnp0/00:0c/options
Dependent: 01 - Priority acceptable
    port 0x220-0x250, align 0xf, size 0x10, 16-bit address decoding
    port 0x388-0x388, align 0x0, size 0x4, 16-bit address decoding
    port 0x300-0x330, align 0xf, size 0x2, 16-bit address decoding
    irq 5,7,2/9,10 High-Edge
    dma 0,1,5 8-bit compatible
    dma 0,1,5 8-bit compatible
Dependent: 02 - Priority acceptable
    port 0x220-0x250, align 0xf, size 0x10, 16-bit address decoding
    port 0x300-0x330, align 0xf, size 0x2, 16-bit address decoding
    irq 5,7,2/9,10 High-Edge
    dma 0,1,5 8-bit compatible
    dma 0,1,5 8-bit compatible
$ cat /sys/devices/pnp0/00:0c/resources