Re: ALSA Problem - Broken Pipe?

Kristin Low wrote:
> I don't think it's using the modem... I do hear some sound; it just
> cuts out if I select pulseaudio or ALSA. OSS works fine. Killing
> pulseaudio forces me to use ALSA or OSS... And since pulseaudio dies
> when ALSA hiccups, I think ALSA is the culprit. I thought I had the
> latest drivers and libraries, but I'll look into it.

On modern systems, OSS is just an emulation of the original OSS using
alsa.  So when OSS runs fine, Alsa is running fine.  And the fact that
OSS works indicates that the modem isn't causing the problem, because
OSS uses the sound device too.

Pulseaudio is a sound server that uses alsa for the underlying sound.
It takes over the sound device exclusively and only allows sound to play
through itself.  It just seems strange that OSS would work but using
alsa directly wouldn't.  And the only other item in this mix is
pulseaudio, so it seems worth a try.  Maybe there is a configuration
option you can give to pulse to increase the buffer sizes it uses or
something.

It's still possible that direct alsa has an error while the emulation
doesn't.  That is, that there is a bug in the alsa library.  It
shouldn't be the driver because the driver is working fine for OSS (AOSS).

You've reached the end of my knowledge here, so your next step is
probably to go with a question on the alsa-devel list if nothing else works.