Re: getting 3 stereo dsp devices from a 5.1 sound card

On Saturday 28 June 2008 17:49:35 Marc MERLIN wrote:
> I haven't found this anywhere in the FAQs.
>
> If I have a 5.1 sound card, i.e. a card that will drive 6 speakers, I would
> like to play 3 different stereo sounds on 3 pairs of 2 speakers so that I
> don't have to buy 3 sound cards.
>
> Is this doable? If so do you have a link to instructions and does this
> require a specific 5.1 card, or most should do?

I was fooling around with this a while ago. Heres what I came up with for
4,6 and 8 channel devices.

# Define 4 channel dmix with all the channels of your device
pcm.dmixs40 {
	type dmix
	ipc_key 1040
	ipc_key_add_uid false # let multiple users share
	ipc_perm 0660 # IPC permissions (octal, default 0600)
	slave.pcm "hw:0"
	slave.channels 4
	slave.rate 48000
	slave.periods 4
	slave.period_size 4096
}

# now create the virtual stereo devices that mix into different stereo
# pairs within the multichannel device
pcm.s40_rear {
     type route
     slave.pcm "surround40"
     slave.channels 4
     ttable.0.2 1
     ttable.1.3 1
}

pcm.dmixs40_front {
     type route
     slave.pcm "dmixs40"
     slave.channels 4
     ttable.0.0 1
     ttable.1.1 1
}

pcm.dmixs40_rear {
     type route
     slave.pcm "dmixs40"
     slave.channels 4
     ttable.0.2 1
     ttable.1.3 1
}

# six channels
pcm.dmixs51 {
	type dmix
	ipc_key 1051
	ipc_key_add_uid false # let multiple users share
	ipc_perm 0660 # IPC permissions (octal, default 0600)
	slave.pcm "hw:0"
	slave.channels 6
	slave.rate 48000
	slave.periods 4
	slave.period_size 4096
}

pcm.dmixs51_front {
     type route
     slave.pcm "dmixs51"
     slave.channels 6
     ttable.0.0 1
     ttable.1.1 1
}

pcm.dmixs51_rear {
     type route
     slave.pcm "dmixs51"
     slave.channels 6
     ttable.0.2 1
     ttable.1.3 1
}

pcm.dmixs51_clfe {
     type route
     slave.pcm "dmixs51"
     slave.channels 6
     ttable.0.4 1
     ttable.1.5 1
}

# and 8 channels
pcm.dmixs71 {
	type dmix
	ipc_key 1071
	ipc_key_add_uid false # let multiple users share
	ipc_perm 0660 # IPC permissions (octal, default 0600)
	slave.pcm "hw:0"
	slave.channels 8
	slave.rate 48000
	slave.periods 4