Realtek ALC889A support on SuSE 10.3 x86_64

Hi,

I’m unable to get my integrated sound chip (the Realtek ALC889A) to work under SuSE 10.3 x86_64.

First, the version of ALSA that is installed as standard by SuSE is an earlier version (1.0.14 I think) with no support for the ALC889A chip, so I elected to download the latest version, 1.0.17-rc3.

Prior to recompiling, I removed the previous version completely, and modified the configuration as per the instructions on the project site.

When loading the sound drivers (modprobe or reboot), I get the dmesg messages (below), so clearly something fundamental is wrong.

In addition, when I try to run alsaconf, that too seems to work ok until when it exits it calls alsactl which fails with an error ‘cannot find libasound_module_ctl_plug.so’ and this file is NOT generated or installed anywhere (it was in the original SuSE install).

I ran ‘alsa-info’, and the results are here http://pastebin.ca/1061280

The compile commands I used in each sub-directory (driver, lib, utils, tools etc) are as follows:

$> make clean

$> gitcompile --with-card-options=hda-codec-realtek --libdir=/usr/lib64

$> make install

All of this (eventually) compiled error-free (pkg-config was looking in the wrong place for alsa.pc) and all the drivers etc seem to be installed in the correct directories.

The motherboard I’m using is a Gigabyte GA-MA68G-S3H, using the proprietary AMD/ATI drivers, and I have one each of ‘DViCO DualDigital’ and ‘DViCO DualExpress’ dual-tuner DVB-T cards, which mostly function (aside from some HD niggles, and the sound part !).  The intent is to integrate Alsa into MythTV, and connect via an optical cable to my ac3 surround amplifier.

Any and all help would be much appreciated, if only to preserve my sanity (and keep ‘she who must be obeyed’ off my back !!)

Thanks

Fergal

This is the dmesg output:

snd: Unknown symbol unregister_sound_special

snd: Unknown symbol register_sound_special_device

snd: Unknown symbol sound_class

snd_timer: Unknown symbol snd_info_register

snd_timer: Unknown symbol snd_info_create_module_entry

snd_timer: Unknown symbol snd_info_free_entry

snd_timer: Unknown symbol snd_verbose_printk

snd_timer: Unknown symbol snd_iprintf

snd_timer: Unknown symbol snd_ecards_limit

snd_timer: Unknown symbol snd_oss_info_register

snd_timer: Unknown symbol snd_unregister_device

snd_timer: Unknown symbol snd_device_new

snd_timer: Unknown symbol snd_register_device_for_dev

snd_pcm: Unknown symbol snd_info_register

snd_pcm: Unknown symbol snd_info_create_module_entry

snd_pcm: Unknown symbol snd_ctl_unregister_ioctl_compat

snd_pcm: Unknown symbol snd_timer_notify

snd_pcm: Unknown symbol snd_timer_interrupt

snd_pcm: Unknown symbol snd_info_free_entry

snd_pcm: Unknown symbol snd_add_device_sysfs_file

snd_pcm: Unknown symbol snd_info_get_str

snd_pcm: Unknown symbol snd_verbose_printk

snd_pcm: Unknown symbol snd_ctl_register_ioctl

snd_pcm: Unknown symbol snd_card_file_add

snd_pcm: Unknown symbol snd_iprintf

snd_pcm: Unknown symbol snd_major

snd_pcm: Unknown symbol snd_unregister_device

snd_pcm: Unknown symbol snd_timer_new

snd_pcm: Unknown symbol snd_device_new

snd_pcm: Unknown symbol snd_ctl_unregister_ioctl

snd_pcm: Unknown symbol snd_lookup_minor_data

snd_pcm: Unknown symbol snd_ctl_register_ioctl_compat

snd_pcm: Unknown symbol snd_info_create_card_entry

snd_pcm: Unknown symbol snd_power_wait

snd_pcm: Unknown symbol snd_device_free

snd_pcm: Unknown symbol snd_card_file_remove

snd_pcm: Unknown symbol snd_register_device_for_dev

snd_pcm: Unknown symbol snd_device_register

snd_pcm: Unknown symbol snd_info_get_line

snd_hda_intel: Unknown symbol snd_ctl_add_slave

snd_hda_intel: Unknown symbol snd_ctl_add

snd_hda_intel: Unknown symbol snd_pcm_new

snd_hda_intel: Unknown symbol snd_pcm_limit_hw_rates

snd_hda_intel: Unknown symbol snd_card_register

snd_hda_intel: Unknown symbol snd_card_free

snd_hda_intel: Unknown symbol snd_pcm_lib_preallocate_pages_for_all

snd_hda_intel: Unknown symbol snd_card_proc_new

snd_hda_intel: Unknown symbol snd_ctl_find_id

snd_hda_intel: Unknown symbol snd_pcm_set_sync

snd_hda_intel: Unknown symbol snd_verbose_printk

snd_hda_intel: Unknown symbol snd_ctl_new1

snd_hda_intel: Unknown symbol snd_component_add

snd_hda_intel: Unknown symbol snd_ctl_make_virtual_master

snd_hda_intel: Unknown symbol snd_card_new

snd_hda_intel: Unknown symbol snd_iprintf

snd_hda_intel: Unknown symbol snd_pcm_lib_malloc_pages

snd_hda_intel: Unknown symbol snd_ctl_boolean_mono_info

snd_hda_intel: Unknown symbol snd_pcm_lib_ioctl

snd_hda_intel: Unknown symbol snd_pcm_lib_free_pages

snd_hda_intel: Unknown symbol snd_pcm_set_ops

snd_hda_intel: Unknown symbol snd_device_new

snd_hda_intel: Unknown symbol snd_pcm_sgbuf_ops_page

snd_hda_intel: Unknown symbol snd_pcm_suspend_all

snd_hda_intel: Unknown symbol snd_card_disconnect

snd_hda_intel: Unknown symbol snd_pcm_hw_constraint_integer

snd_hda_intel: Unknown symbol snd_pci_quirk_lookup

snd_hda_intel: Unknown symbol snd_pcm_period_elapsed

snd_hda_intel: Unknown symbol snd_pcm_hw_constraint_step

snd_hda_intel: Unknown symbol snd_pcm_format_width