ASUS M2N E-SLI usb audio device - dmix works, dsnoop not so much

     Greetings List:

A) start with the details:

   I recently had a motherboard upgrade - the old one died a horrible
i/o controller related death.
   purchased an ASUS M2N e-SLI - it has dual IDE ports in addition to
the 4 active and 4 hidden sata ports ----   I have a single LV on three
ide drives (yeah -- not bright I know)  I has on board a C-Media
Electronics CM6501 usb audio device.

   out of the box KDE's artsd cannot find any audio devices despite
being told to use /dev/snd/ devices and /dev/sound/ devices. I've ended
up uplifting the kernel to 2.6.25 and alsa to 1.0.16r2 - rebuilt the
entire kde-meta tree. No joy
   built an .asoundrc and away we go = shared output works, amarok
works, artds works, can have wine/artsd/amarok playing nice at the same
time.

   what DOES work:
    out of box, no asoundrc
       amarok and other correctly alsa built apps can play sound one at
a time.
        with below asoundrc everything can output sound, but somewhat
irregularly when more than one is playing at a time.

   what DOES NOT WORK:
    the mic.
   if I have NO asoundrc at all the mic works for a single application.
   if I have my asounrc in - nothing can open the mic.  at all

    Wine programs and wine itself complain (no matter what) that there
is no mixer.  This makes some things not work well.  If I have my
asoundrc in place and have World of Warcraft and ventrilo running in
wine, while listening to amarok
 { no I'm not mildy ADD -- I'm completely and utterly ADD}
 the sounds from wine are somewhat unstable.  I.e for some time it will
be fine, other times only one or the other app can play - or its
dropping channels of sound ( i can explain in detail but will take too
much turf)

   OBJECTIVE:
    1st) get mic to work in dsnoop mode.
    2nd) fool things like wine into believing in the fairy "mixer"

B) my asoundrc

pcm.card0 {
        type hw
        card 0
        device 0
}

ctl.!default {
    type hw
    card 0
}

pcm.!default {
        type plug
        slave.pcm "duplex"
}

pcm.dmixer {
        type dmix
        ipc_key 1025
        ipc_perm 0660
        slave.pcm "card0"
        slave {
               period_time 0
               period_size 1024
               buffer_size 8192
               rate 48000
                }
        bindings {
                0 0
                1 1
                }
}

pcm.dsnooper {
        type dsnoop
        ipc_key 1027    # must be unique for all dmix plugins!!!!
        ipc_perm 0660
        slave {
               pcm "card0"
               period_time 0
#              period_size 1024
#              buffer_size 8192
               }
        bindings {
                0 0
                1 1
        }
}

pcm.duplex{
        type asym
        playback.pcm "dmixer"
        capture.pcm "dsnooper"
}

C)  The system

Gentoo box ~amd64

2.6.25-gentoo-r5iommuin

Module                  Size  Used by
bnep                   11776  2
rfcomm                 34848  4
l2cap                  20864  12 bnep,rfcomm
nvidia               8100176  24
hci_usb                14940  2
snd_usb_audio          88512  2
snd_pcm                71368  1 snd_usb_audio
snd_timer              20432  1 snd_pcm
snd_page_alloc          8528  1 snd_pcm
snd_usb_lib            15936  1 snd_usb_audio
snd_rawmidi            21120  1 snd_usb_lib
snd_seq_device          7252  1 snd_rawmidi
snd_hwdep               8200  1 snd_usb_audio
snd                    53128  10
snd_usb_audio,snd_pcm,snd_timer,snd_rawmidi,snd_seq_device,snd_hwdep
i2c_nforce2             7040  0
i2c_core               20512  2 nvidia,i2c_nforce2
dm_bbr                 10624  0
tg3                   107588  0
e1000                 114240  0
sbp2                   21580  0
ohci1394               28660  0
ieee1394               81400  2 sbp2,ohci1394

cat /proc/asound/version
Advanced Linux Sound Architecture Driver Version 1.0.16rc2 (Thu Jan 31
16:40:16 2008 UTC).

  {{{ first device is onboard second device is Logitech Webcam }}}

~ $  cat /proc/asound/cards
 0 [default        ]: USB-Audio - PnP Audio Device
                      PnP Audio Device         at usb-0000:00:02.0-7,
full speed
 1 [U0x46d0x8b5    ]: USB-Audio - USB Device 0x46d:0x8b5
                      USB Device 0x46d:0x8b5 at usb-0000:00:02.0-4, full
speed

~ $  cat /proc/asound/devices
  2:        : timer
  3: [ 1- 0]: digital audio capture
  4: [ 1]   : control
  5: [ 0- 0]: digital audio playback
  6: [ 0- 0]: digital audio capture
  7: [ 0]   : control

~ $ more /etc/modprobe.conf |grep snd
alias char-major-10-116 snd
alias char-major-116-* snd
alias snd-card-0 snd-usb-audio
alias snd-card-1 snd-usb-audio
alias sound-slot-0 snd-usb-audio
alias sound-slot-1 snd-usb-audio
alias sound-service-0-0 snd-mixer-oss
alias sound-service-0-1 snd-seq-oss
alias sound-service-0-3 snd-pcm-oss
alias sound-service-0-8 snd-seq-oss
alias sound-service-0-12 snd-pcm-oss
alias sound-service-1-0 snd-mixer-oss
alias sound-service-1-3 snd-pcm-oss
alias sound-service-1-12 snd-pcm-oss
alias /dev/mixer snd-mixer-oss
alias /dev/dsp snd-pcm-oss
alias /dev/midi snd-seq-oss
options snd cards_limit=3
options snd-usb-audio index=0,1 vid=0x0d8c,0x046d pid=0x0201,0x08b5