Re: Audio hardware with "pause" support

Thanks for the hint, Clemens.

If I interpret this information correctly, then it seems that many
different sound drivers actually support pause, and consequently many
audio architectures have the functionality as well (or it is emulated by
the drivers). The real problem is the dmix plugin. In particular, I see
hda_intel in the list. When I used ALSA with HDA Intel onboard hardware,
pause was not available, probably due to the dmix plugin being used.

So my next questions are:

 - What is the dmix plugin and what are the benefits of using it?
 - Is it possible to disable the dmix plugin?
 - What consequences does disabling the dmix plugin have? What essential
features of ALSA will be missing without it?

Best regards,
Florian

--
Florian Winter