Re: input source selection not working

Bruno Schneider wrote:
> I'm using a computer with a ASUS P5LD2-X motherboard. The audio
> controller, is a Realtek ALC662, as reported by "amixer info":
>
> Card default 'Intel'/'HDA Intel at 0xdddf8000 irq 20'
>
>   Mixer name	: 'Realtek ALC662 rev1'
>
>   Components	: 'HDA:10ec0662'
>
>   Controls      : 18
>
>   Simple ctrls  : 10
>
> I'm using Debian Lenny. Gnome-mixer gives me three choices for "input
> source": "mic", "front mic" and "line". However, no matter what I
> choose, it seems to always record from "mic" (the back microphone
> jack). I can hear the front mic signal on the speakers, the problem is
> using that signal as the recording source. I'm testing recording with
> audacity.
>
> I've found similiar issues such as [1] but nothing really helpfull.
> Please advise.
>
> [1] http://www.mail-archive.com/alsa-user@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx/msg18584.html

Try using amixer in a terminal or console.  It is closer to the metal. :-)

First run   amixer  | less   to see the current setting.  Then look in
man amixer
to set the value.  Should be something like   amixer sset "Capture
device" "front mic".
The examples in the man page are missing the double quotes but when I
tried that
it failed.  Once that is done, check the setting again with amixer.

It could be that the gnome setter is failing quietly.