hammerfall digi9636 recording volume

Hello all,
I have a hammerfall 9636 card on my linux 64 studio machine. got it
working today but have a question regarding recording volume on the
card. The thing is that it seems too low. When connecting the
microphone directly to the AEB-8 extension board for analog input, I
only have vague recording level. So, is this normal? is there any
means of configuring the hammerfall/or alsa so that the volume of
recording volume would be higher? There are means of boosting the
level for example by running it through JAMin and take that output
into ardour, but it seems like this should be configurable.

grateful for hints and answers,
thank you
greg