Re: hda-intel module not finding audio codec with ICH7/STAC9227

On Tue, 2008-05-27 at 16:22 -0700, stan wrote:
Amrik Kochhar wrote:
> Hi I am having an issue getting sound on my Gateway GM5626 desktop
> (purchased January 2008). Specifically, when loading the hda-intel
> module, I get an error in dmesg "hda-intel: no codecs found!"; only
> roughly 1 out of 20 boots gets the module to load. I am using Intel ICH7
> and SigmaTel STAC9227 codec. My board is Intel D945GCF. I have confirmed
> the error on Ubuntu 8.04 kernel version 2.6.24-17 with the latest ALSA
> packages from hardy/medibuntu repositories, as well as custom compiled
> kernel 2.6.25.4 with the ALSA that comes with it (1.0.16-rc2 I believe,
> enabled via make menuconfig).
>
> I have tried many different models and probe_masks in an attempt to get
> the module to load, without success.
>
> output of dmesg: http://pastebin.ca/1031237
> output of alsa-info.sh: http://pastebin.ca/1031015
> output of sudo lspci -vv: http://pastebin.ca/1031053
>
> On one of the times I managed to get the hda-intel module to load
> correctly I got the following output for cat /proc/asound/card0/codec#2:
> http://pastebin.ca/1031059 (notice how the audio codec is in slot #2)
>
> This might also be useful:
> cat /proc/interrupts => http://pastebin.ca/1031040
>
> Thanks in advance for any information that could lead to a successful
> resolution. If this is insufficient information, or if there is a better
> way to debug let me know.

There are other threads on the list discussing this and problems similar
to it.
It seems there might be a regression in the kernel for ICH cards (7, 8,
and 9).
But is this a regression in the main kernel or Ubuntu Hardy Heron?  I have HH running on an Intel D945GNTL w/o issue, but it has an older 9221 STAC codec, not the newer 9227 codec.

I've been out of the loop for a bit due to other priority workloads, but I hope to start freeing up some time for ALSA again soon.  And I'm still waiting for a demo unit from Tangent to fix the audio driver on that system.

-- Tobin Davis

Small change can often be found under seat cushions.
		-- One of Lazarus Long's most penetrating insights