Creative X-Fi Drivers

I hope I'm not asking asking a question here that everyone is sick of answering, but I'm surely not the only one to have bought one of these cards and have been disappointed by the continuing lack of Linux functionality - wondering when ALSA are likely to release viable drivers for the X-Fi range of cards. It was my understanding that Creative released the necessary documentation last Autumn, so when are the drivers likely to be finished?

Not to sound trollish, but for this particular card would it be a better option for users to install OSS?

All the best,
Sean.