Re: hda-intel codec not being detected on ICH9 chipset

On Friday 23 May 2008 16:34, Sergei Steshenko wrote:
> On Fri, 23 May 2008 21:50:05 +1000
>
> "Peter Westley" <alsa@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > Sergei,
> >
> > Thanks for that pointer - I'm not married to either AMD or Intel so I
> > might take a look - thanks!
> >
> > Peter
> >
> > On Fri, May 23, 2008 at 6:24 PM, Sergei Steshenko
> > <steshenko_sergei@xxxxxxx>
> >
> > wrote:

> > > little

> > > FWIW, there are still motherboards with 4 PCI slots, but the
> > > motherboards are
> > > for AMD (AM2 socket), not Intel.
> > >
> > > The maker is Gigabyte.
> > >
> > > Regards,
> > >   Sergei.
>
> I have such a MB - it's ALC883-based (the MB is no more in production), and
> the sound works - at least, as stereo.
>
> I think the newer ones are also ALC883-based.
>
> Regards,
>   Sergei.

Regarding something else Peter could try, that I saw on the list today, was
appending the Grub kernel line, at boot up, and add acpi=off. That appears to
have got someones sound working with an hda intel card.

I must admit that I'm clutching at straws in the help I'm offering, but it may
be worth a try. Although saying that, he had sounds working with this card,
when he had the earlier version of Ubuntu (Gutsy Gibbon) installed, and
admittadly this was the desktop version. He then installed the server version
of Gutsy Gibbon, but can't remember if he had sounds after that. I could find
very little about the differences between the server kernel, and the generic
one on the Ubuntu site. He next installed the latest server version Of Ubuntu
(Hardy Heron), which has no sound, and that is where we stand at the moment.

It has to be said that hda intel cards present a whole can of worms, that the
user has to try and deal with to try and get sounds working. The Alsa devs
are doing there best patching, and patching this card with so many
variations, but at times you sort of think that this is a losing battle.

According to the mobo I'm waiting to receive (Asus M2N-X Plus), it has HDA
sound (ALC662), which is likely to be a bundle of fun compared to my Audigy2
soundblaster (emu10k1) on one machine, and Ensoniq (ens1371) on the other
machine. At least the mobo has 3 PCI slots, so I can pick up a cheap, well
supported soundcard, so that if the El Crapo hda intel doesn't work, at least
I'll have sounds.

Sorry. I think I've ranted on enough.

Nigel.