Re: Difference between index=2, and index=-2?

On Thu, 22 May 2008, Nigel Henry wrote:

> When I set index options if cards are ordered incorrectly, I set these as:
> index=0
> index=1
> index=2 , etc
>
> On my Debian installs, including Kubuntu, /etc/modprobe.d/alsa-base, at the
> bottom of the file are options for abnormal drivers that try to grab card0.
>
> All of these drivers are set as index=-2
>
> I looked in the man page for modprobe.conf, but there is no info about the
> values for index options.
>
> What exactly is the difference between index=2, and index=-2?
>
> Just an academic question helping me to be a bit more clued up.

-2 means bitmask which "slots" (indexes) can be used. It's 0xfffffffe in
hexa, thus only first bit is zero (disable). It means, allocate any free
slot (index) except from slot (index) 0.

						Jaroslav

-----
Jaroslav Kysela <perex@xxxxxxxx>
Linux Kernel Sound Maintainer