Re: Info on edirol UA-101

Germano Carella wrote:
> Hi,
> I have an edirol UA-101 usb sound card.
> I tried to install alsa on my ubuntu 7.10, and I can hear some sound
> on my card.
Alsa should have already been on your system as it is the default low
level sound system for all distributions.  If your card is recognized,
it might be as simple as turning up the levels.  By default, alsa starts
with sound muted.
> But I can't use the 10 input and 10 output channels...
You might only be able to get stereo functionality.
> Alsamixer says that there aren't mixer elems on card, Gnome-Alsa-Mixer
> doesn't recognize this card, and I can't record anythink 'cause there
> is not capture device.
Your first step is to go to this link
http://hg.alsa-project.org/alsa/raw-file/tip/alsa-info.sh  and download
and run the script there.  Then post back a link to the output so anyone
who wants to help can see the information about your system.  The fact
that the channels aren't recognized in alsamixer is a sign that they
probably aren't supported.

I'm not familiar with edirol so I don't know whether it is supported or
not.  If sound is absolutely a priority, you should purchase a cheap pci
soundcard that is guaranteed to work.  That will support orca and
espeak.  Perhaps someone with an edirol can help you.

> I need to use espeak, 'cause I'm Blind and use orca on ubuntu; with
> espeak, i can't play nothing; i must disable speech output...
>
> I tried to install pyalsa 1.0.16, but setup.py returns with errors...
pyalsa needs a working alsa to work.  It is just a layer on top of alsa
that provides a python interface.

> Someone can help me?
Not much, I'm afraid.