Re: hda-intel codec not being detected on ICH9 chipset

On Tuesday 20 May 2008 13:11, Peter Westley wrote:
> First can I say if I should post this question somewhere else, please
> accept my apologies and let me know where!
>
> I am running ubuntu 8.04 on an Intel DQ35MP motherboard which has
> built-in ICH9 (ALC268 I believe) HD audio chipset. The kernel is
> 2.6.24-17-server
>
> When I first installed the desktop version of Ubuntu (acually it was
> 7.10) the audio worked. I'm not sure exactly at which point it stopped
> working but it might have been when I re-installed with -server version.
>
> I have trawled the web and tried many things but I just cannot get the
> hda-intel driver to see the codec on my motherboard.
>
> alsa-info.sh captured details are at http://pastebin.ca/1021799
>
> I have tried uninstalling and re-installing alsa using apt-get purge and
> apt-get install
> I have tried building and installing the packagae from realtek (but
> that's only alsa-project's latest stable build any way I think)
> I have downloaded built and installed the hot daily build from
> alsa-project.org <http://alsa-project.org> and still no luck.
>
> Currently running 1.0.16 built on 20080516:
> ftp://ftp.suse.com/pub/projects/alsa/snapshot/driver/alsa-driver-hg20080516
>.tar.bz2
> <ftp://ftp.suse.com/pub/projects/alsa/snapshot/driver/alsa-driver-hg2008051
>6.tar.bz2>
>
> Additional info (Might already be in info capture)
>
>  From demsg:
> [   40.254047] ALSA /build/buildd/linux-ubuntu
> -modules-2.6.24-2.6.24/debian/build/build-server/sound/alsa-driver/pci/hda/
>../../alsa-kernel/pci/hda/hda_intel.c:1892: hda-intel: no codecs found!
> [   40.254089] ACPI: PCI interrupt for device 0000:00:1b.0 disabled
>
>  From lspci -v
> 00:1b.0 Audio device: Intel Corporation 82801I (ICH9 Family) HD Audio
> Controller (rev 02)
>       Subsystem: Intel Corporation Unknown device 0013
>       Flags: fast devsel, IRQ 23
>       Memory at 922a0000 (64-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=16K]
>       Capabilities: [50] Power Management version 2
>       Capabilities: [60] Message Signalled Interrupts: Mask- 64bit+
> Queue=0/0 Enable-
>       Capabilities: [70] Express Unknown type IRQ 0
>
> I have also tried using varous MODEL= options to loading the module
> (5stack, 3stack, acer)
> I have not yet tried doing anything with the debug option because I
> don't know how to use it.
>
> Any help appreciated.
> Let me know if you need more information.
>
> Thanks,
> Peter

Hi Peter. Upon reading your post, I thought there might be some conflict going
as to which soundcard was set as card0, as you have both snd-hda-intel, and a
TV card with a sound component. At least your lspci indicates it. My
Hauppauge Win TV express card has snd-bt87x, which is one of those "abnormal"
drivers that try to grab card0, and which need to have the following line set
in /etc/modules.d/alsa-base (see below), otherwise you can get conflicts
where both soundcards are trying to grab card0, and sometimes no cards appear
in /proc/asound/cards, although lsmod shows the modules to be loaded
options snd-bt87x index=2.

I thought this may be the case with your problem, and a bit of googling shows
aoptions cx88-alsa index=2  (all these dodgy drivers are indexed as 2), in
someones /etc/modprobe.d/alsa-base. It doesn't show in your options list on
the pastebin file, but that may be because it doesn't start with "snd". Do
you have that one there?

I also read that someone had add snd-hda-intel to /etc/modules to get sound to
work. Not sure if that was for Hardy Heron though.

Did you roll your own server kernel?

Nigel.