Problems recording from USB source

Now I've got ALSA to recognise my USB card (total Ubuntu reinstall), I'm
having problems recording from it.

Using the default channel it records OK, but the channel balance is strange
and a bit arbitrary. The card has only 6dB steps for recording level, and
in theory you can control each channel separately. But Alsamixer only gives
a single level (is this correct?). And sometimes the channels have the same
level, and other times one of the channels is at a different level from the
other. Within a test session it seems consistent, so I imagine that some
level isn't being set properly.

As I'm a newbie, can some kind soul tell me what information they need to
help me get the levels right please? For instance, the output from arecord
-L. Or more tests that I could do.

TIA

Peter Toye
mailto:alsa@xxxxxxxxx