Re: Sound Quality: difference in digital outputs? optical vs coax? discrete vs integrated?

On 24-04-08 21:13, Matt Garman wrote:

> In short, I'm looking for the best stereo sound I can get from my Linux
> system---the main use will be listening to my CD collection (ripped as
> FLAC).
>
> A specific question: if using digital output, is there a difference
> (sound quality-wise) between optical/toslink and coaxial?  Say my
> soundcard can output both via optical and coax, and my amp also supports
> both inputs: any reason to choose one over the other?

Distance is the important metric -- really the only one. If you have to
bridge a few metres you're going to get bitperfect results 100% of the time
from just about anything non-broken and you needn't worry about it while
with increasing distance you would start to pay a little more attention to
cable.

Original TOSLINK is specified at upto 10 metres (and used to be adviced at
no more than 5) and while this is fully dependent on the actual cable used,
good long cables get expensive to really expensive.

With coax you should at any length make sure it's 75 ohm (it always is if
it's specifically a digital audio cable). The longer it is the more chance
of picking up (RF) interference so you want it to be progressively better
shielded.

Optical, not being electrical, does not pick up electrical interference and
is as said not susceptible to ground loops due to that same reason which can
make it a good choice. Optical is more fragile and if you have to bend it
around too many corners reflections could be a problem. Really sharp bends
won't do period. Optical as said also needs/wants expensive cable sooner
than coax.

Basically, "digital is digital" is indeed exactly what it is but at least
when reconstructing the clock from the S/PDIF signal cable induced jitter
occurs when the fairly square wave the 1's and 0's leave the transmitter as
have degraded into rounded square waves enough that the receiver gets timing
problems reconstructing the exact clock. These days the receiver actually
usually reclocks itself anyways though (exactly due to this issue) and then
it all makes even less of a difference. Optical used to have a somewhat bad
reputation but in the absence of actual breakage you need pretty serious
reflection problems to get non bitperfect results.

That said, I'd probably pick coax for most setups where ground loops are not
an issue if given the choice.

> Also, if I'm looking at pure digital output, is there a quality
> difference between sound card models?  My understanding is quite naive
> (and certainly incomplete!) but it seems like if the software (flac123,
> mpd, whatever) converts the FLAC code to a digital audio signal, the
> sound card doesn't really have any work to do.

... except clocking the data out. Stability of the clock is a bit of an
issue here but it's again only marginal when your receiver isn't in fact
extracting its clock from the signal.

> In other words, my motherboard (Abit IP35 Pro) has an optical SPDIF
> output for its Intel HD Audio system.  Would this be any
> better/worse than, say, a Chaintech AV-710 with optical out (which
> I'm using in another PC), or an MAudio Audiophile 2496 coax SPDIF
> output?
>
> My understanding has always been that "digital is digital", but
> after doing some reading today, I'm not so sure that's true.

As with most things in audio, the trick is to do more listening than reading...

Rene.