redirect ALSA output - no sound card?

Hi list,

I'm new to ALSA (and linux audio in general) and have a question for you
all, perhaps this should be on the dev list but i'll try here first...

I would like to capture output from an arbitrary application which
outputs to ALSA and allow this data to be read by my application. Can i
do this with ALSA and if so how?

There is no sound card device in the system i am using, i just want to
be able to access the audio data by some mechanism, shared mem, device
file, pipe, api etc I've looked at the "file" plugin but i don't want to
save the audio data i want my application to be able to access this data
in real time. I also had a look at Jack but don't really get it (are
there any good docs around?) and it seems Jack would limit me to only
being able to capture from one application at a time, i need to have
multiple instances of the input application running and outputting audio
data.

Any ideas gratefully recieved,  thanks!

Nick

This e-mail is the property of Quadriga Worldwide Ltd, intended for the addressee only and confidential.  Any dissemination, copying or distribution of this message or any attachments is strictly prohibited.

If you have received this message in error, please notify us immediately by replying to the message and deleting it from your computer.

Messages sent to and from Quadriga may be monitored.

Quadriga cannot guarantee any message delivery method is secure or error-free.  Information could be intercepted, corrupted, lost, destroyed, arrive late or incomplete, or contain viruses.

We do not accept responsibility for any errors or omissions in this message and/or attachment that arise as a result of transmission.

You should carry out your own virus checks before opening any attachment.

Any views or opinions presented are solely those of the author and do not necessarily represent those of Quadriga.