Re: Trying to get arecord/aplay to work with M-Audio

On Wed, 26 Mar 2008, Helge Fredriksen wrote:

> Ok, here's what I found out:
>
> Since these cards seem to lack the support for doing frequency conversion in
> HW, you simply need to use the alsa plugin
> plughw instead of hw when referring to the card:
>
> arecord -Dplughw:0  test.wav
> aplay -Dplughw:0 test.wav

AFAIK, alsa frequency conversion is pretty primative ( linear
interpolation) which produces a huge amount of noise/distortion.
See www.theory.physics.ubc.a/soundcard/resample.html for a comparison of
various rate conversion routines on a sound sample roughly similar to real
music (pink noise type spectrum) The problem is that better conversion
routines require a longer time and thus have a longer latency than the
simplest techniques. Mind you I have no idea how the sound cards with
hardware conversion do it either, so they might be just as nasty as the
linear software routines.