Re: Another make failure when upgrading

Best regards,

Peter
mailto:alsa@xxxxxxxxx
www.ptoye.com

-------------------------
Sunday, March 23, 2008, 4:05:58 PM, you wrote:

> On Sunday 23 March 2008 16:14, Peter Toye wrote:
>> Following my driver make problem, Lee Revell sorted me out, but I still had
>> some problems. so decided to rebuild it all again.
>>
>> But when making the utils I got:
>>
>> Making install in po
>> make[2]: Entering directory
>> `/home/ptoye/ALSA/utils/alsa-utils-1.0.16/alsaconf/po' mv: cannot stat
>> `t-ja.gmo': No such file or directory
>> make[2]: *** [ja.gmo] Error 1

> Hi Peter. Have you installed the libncurses-dev package I mentioned was
> necessary for the alsa-utils to build properly?

> I know it's required for alsamixer, and perhaps alsaconf needs it too.
Yes, I installed it before doing anything else.

>> By the way, I used the command sudo make install (in Ubuntu) even though
>> the INSTALL file doesn't tell me to run it as root. I'd found with the lib
>> files that this was necessary.

> I took no notice of the instructions in the "Install" file, and followed the
> usual:
> ./configure
> make
> sudo make install
Doesn't make any difference!

>> Also, when running ./configure for the driver I'd had a warning:
>>
>> checking for GCC version... Kernel compiler:  Used compiler: gcc (GCC)
>> 4.1.3 20070929 (prerelease) (Ubuntu 4.1.2-16ubuntu2)
>>
>> *** NO PREDEFINED KERNEL COMPILER IS DETECTED
>> *** Assuming the same compiler is used with the current system compiler.
>>
>> *** Please make sure that the same compiler version was used for building
>> kernel.
>>
>> But I've no way of knowing which compiler was used for the kernel, so
>> assumed it would be OK. Could this be a problem?

> Note sure about that. It's a while since I installed Kubuntu, and can't
> remember what basic development packages were installed as part of the
> Kubuntu install. Before I upgraded the alsa driver, I installed the following
> packages:
> kernel headers for the kernel (presuming the running kernel) that you are
> upgrading the alsa driver against.
> kernel-package
> build essential  (may be a hyphen between build, and essential)
I'll check this out. But if you really have to know about large numbers of
preconditions for installing a package, this should be in the README or
INSTALL files for the package, not have to be winkled out of friendly users
in its mail list!