Re: No sound after installation of ATI Radeon 2600 graphics card

On Monday 10 March 2008 09:05, Gerd Schering wrote:
> Nigel Henry wrote:
> [...]
>
> > Hi Gerd. Thanks for all the info. Even though the cards are ordered
> > correctly in /proc/asound/cards, I think there is some conflict going on
> > between snd-intel8x0, and snd-hda-intel (which appears to be being loaded
> > due to this sound component on your new graphics card). I say this
> > because if you look at snd-hwdep on your lsmod above, it shows as below.
> >  snd_hwdep               7492  1 snd_hda_intel
> >
> > It should be showing snd-intel8x0, not snd-hda-intel, and I think if you
> > removed your new graphics card, and rebooted, you would find that is so,
> > and your sounds would come back. The answer I believe is to prevent
> > snd-hda-intel being loaded when you bootup.
> >
> > There's a couple of things, I'd suggest.
> > 1st: If you have an /etc/modprobe.d/blacklist file, blacklist
> > snd_hda_intel. This doesn't always work though, so, as an alternative.
> > 2nd: Create an entry in /etc/modprobe.conf as below.
> > install snd_hda_intel /bin/true
> >
> > This should load the module in /bin/true where it can't do anything at
> > all.
> >
> > See if either of those resolves the problem. Another alternative is to
> > rename/remove the snd_hda_intel module in /lib/modules for your kernel,
> > and this way the kernel will not be able to load it, because it won't be
> > able to find it.
>
> Hi Nigel,
> thanks again for your answer. Meanwhile the situation has changed:
> I reinstalled my linux OS. Somewhat strange: the sound module on the
> graphics card gets not recognized correctly: the hardware detection
> marks it as "unknown" and no driver / kernel module for it is loaded.
> Nevertheless no sound on the ac97 (kernel modules snd-intel8x0 is loaded).
>
> I feel somewhat helpless :-(
>
> Gerd

Hi Gerd. Sorry for the slow reply. So the snd-hda-intel module is loaded for
the sound component on your new graphics card, and the snd-intel8x0 module is
loaded for the onboard soundcard.

What do you get when typing alsamixer on the command line. Just typing
alsamixer should give you the default card "card0", but I've seen that you
may have to type alsamixer -c0 to get the default mixer settings. If your
cat /proc/asound/cards shows card0 as the onboard soundcard (snd-intel8x0),
then either just typing alsamixer, or alsamixer -c0 will bring up the mixer
settings for the onboard soundcard.

Typing alsamixer -c1 should bring up the settings for the sound component on
the graphics card (snd-hda-intel). From what I saw on the pastebin file that
you posted previously, the snd-hda-intel module was loaded, but according to
to the amixer output only for digital audio output from the graphics card,
and that was set to "off".

I also don't know which desktop you are using. I use KDE, and have had
problems with the volume control in the panel. This control has options for
which soundcard you want to use it for.

On KDE you can right click on the loudspeaker icon in the panel, and select
the soundcard that you want this control to use as master volume. Just a
thought on that one.

Personally, as you've only had these problems since installing the new
graphics card, the first thing I'd do is remove the new graphics card, and
see if you can get your ac97 onboard sounds working again.

I don't know if you tried blacklisting snd-hda-intel, or setting the line
in /etc/modprobe.conf as below
install snd-hda-intel /bin/true

It's worth a try if the card is still installed.

I'm sort of running out of suggestions. Perhaps someone else may offer some
help.

Sorry for not being able to offer more positive help.

Nigel.