Re: no sound when usb-snd-card plugged to running system

On Saturday 01 March 2008 23:05, Susanne Schneider wrote:
> hi,
> I'm running openSuse 10.3/KDE3.9/2.6.22.17 on Asus-Laptop A4K
> When plugging my Lexicon Omega Studio USB-Soundcard to the already
> running system I can't select it in any audio application, but dmesg says:
>-------------------------------------------- usb 3-1: new full speed USB
> device using ohci_hcd and address 3
> usb 3-1: new device found, idVendor=1210, idProduct=0002
> usb 3-1: new device strings: Mfr=1, Product=2, SerialNumber=7
> usb 3-1: Product: Lexicon Omega
> usb 3-1: Manufacturer: Lexicon
> usb 3-1: SerialNumber: Lex1.00
> usb 3-1: configuration #1 chosen from 1 choice
> ALSA sound/core/init.c:137: cannot find the slot for index 1 (range
> 0-1), error: -16
> ALSA sound/usb/usbaudio.c:3410: cannot create card instance 0
> snd-usb-audio: probe of 3-1:1.0 failed with error -5
> ALSA sound/core/init.c:137: cannot find the slot for index 1 (range
> 0-1), error: -16
> ALSA sound/usb/usbaudio.c:3410: cannot create card instance 0
> snd-usb-audio: probe of 3-1:1.3 failed with error -5
> ALSA sound/core/init.c:137: cannot find the slot for index 1 (range
> 0-1), error: -16
> ALSA sound/usb/usbaudio.c:3410: cannot create card instance 0
> snd-usb-audio: probe of 3-1:1.6 failed with error -5
> ALSA sound/core/init.c:137: cannot find the slot for index 1 (range
> 0-1), error: -16
> ALSA sound/usb/usbaudio.c:3410: cannot create card instance 0
> snd-usb-audio: probe of 3-1:1.7 failed with error -5
> ALSA sound/core/init.c:137: cannot find the slot for index 1 (range
> 0-1), error: -16
> ALSA sound/usb/usbaudio.c:3410: cannot create card instance 0
> snd-usb-audio: probe of 3-1:1.8 failed with error -5
> usbcore: registered new interface driver snd-usb-audio
>--------------------------------------------- when plugging the
> USB-Soundcard prior to systemstart everything works fine! thanks in advance
> for any ideas
> Su

Hi Susanne. The USB loads early in the boot process, which is why, when the
USB soundcard is already plugged in,  it works ok when you boot up. I don't
get your dmesg output, but it looks like you have an onboard soundcard that
is listed as card0, and that your USB soundcard is also trying to set itself
as card0, which it can't do.

Would you post the following output please. I havn't a Suse install, but if
you have an /etc/modprobe.conf, post it's contents.

Also post the output from cat /proc/asound/cards with the USB soundcard
plugged in when you bootup, and also the output of cat /proc/asound/cards
when you have booted up without the USB soundcard being plugged in. Then
plugin the USB soundcard, and run cat /proc/asound/cards again, and post it's
output.

In the order I've set out above, the first run of cat /proc/asound/cards with
the USB soundcard plugged in before you boot up, should show the USB
soundcard set as card0.

Booting up without the USB soundcard plugged in should show the onboard
soundcard as card0.

The question now, is what happens when you now plug the USB soundcard in. In
the case of my usb midi keyboard, it shows up as card1, but according to your
dmesg output, that may not be the case with your USB soundcard.

You are probably going to have to edit /etc/modprobe.conf to set your onboard
soundcard as card1, and with it's options line set as index=1. Before we go
into that though, please post back the stuff I've requested.

All the best.

Nigel.