Delta 1010LT and /dev/dspN

I have a freshly minted Debian 4.0 install and put in a 1010LT.
alsamixer works -- it finds the card and lets me change parameters for
each of the channels.  I guess I was expecting /dev/dsp[1-10] to get
created at boot time, but that doesn't happen: I get /dev/dsp and
/dev/dsp1 ... I presume that dsp1 is the onboard sound card, but
"aplay -l" shows both.  Also, if I run the Volume Control application,
it brings up the window and then hangs: no mouse events get handled, and
the close box brings up the "not responding/force quit" dialog box.  So
... something is not quite right.  I read the wiki entry and looked
through the archives and it seems like this card has been supported for
quite some time; I would have thought that on a modern system it would
Just Work, but can anyone think of what's wrong?

The software I want to run needs to open /dev/dspN,/dev/dspN+1, etc.
Doesn't this card work this way?

Thanks!

/jordan