alsa + festival + card 2

I can't seem to get festival to use any card other than the default card 0.

$ echo "here kitty kitty kitty" | aoss festival
Segmentation fault

Without aoss, it generates sounds to card 0.  Even with the following .asoundrc.

#--- START .asoundrc ---#
pcm.atiixp {
   type hw
   card 0
}
ctl.atiixp {
   type hw
   card 0
}

pcm.atiixp-modem {
   type hw
   card 1
}
ctl.atiixp-modem {
   type hw
   card 1
}

pcm.usb_audio {
   type hw
   card 2
}
ctl.usb_audio {
   type hw
   card 2
}

defaults.pcm.card 2

pcm.dsp0 {
    type plug
#    pcm.slave atiixp
    pcm.slave usb_audio
}

ctl.dsp0 {
    type plug
#    pcm.slave atiixp
    pcm.slave usb_audio
}
#--- END .asoundrc ---#

artsdsp -m festival also segfaults.

esddsp -m surprisingly doesn't segfault.  But the text gets all garbled like it's multi-threading several festivals at once.  It starts saying several words at the same time.

I don't normally run a sound daemon at all.  Except when recording audio, I'll manually start jackd.

Any tips to get festival to play nice with alsa?  I want the sound to go to my usb device which is piped to my stereo.  If only to annoy the cat.  I could reindex the drivers, but I'd rather not go that route.  Any other options?

/proc/asound/cards

 0 [IXP            ]: ATIIXP - ATI IXP
                      ATI IXP rev 2 with unknown codec at 0xd0003400, irq 16
 1 [Modem          ]: ATIIXP-MODEM - ATI IXP Modem
                      ATI IXP Modem rev 2 at 0xd0003800, irq 16
 2 [MobilePre      ]: USB-Audio - MobilePre
                      M Audio MobilePre at usb-0000:00:13.0-1, full speed

Thanks,
James