Re: best motherboard for a workstation+HTPC tower PC?

On Sat, 2 Feb 2008 16:28:29 +0100
Paolo Saggese <pmsa4-alsa@xxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Hi everybody,
>
> I'm in the process of putting together a new PC which will be
> used both as a workstation and HTPC.
>
> For the case, I was thinking about the Antec Sonata 550 Plus,
> which is supposed to be good and quiet (nonetheless, any other
> suggestion is welcome :-). As for the CPU, I was thinking about
> an Intel Quad Core (not the extreme, I do not really need that
> much power... in fact not even the quad, but nowadays the price
> difference with a "Duo" is so small I guess it's not worth it).
>
> I'm in doubt about the motherboard. What about something like
> the new Intel X38? or perhaps some other brand (Asus?) would be
> better?
>
> I'll need at least 6 internal SATA + at least 1 E-SATA and both
> copper and fiber SPDIF out. (that's why I'm asking here... 8:-)
>
> Are there any M/B with an integrated audio chipset which is
> capable to work at various sampling rates without resampling
> or will I need an add-on audio card anyway?
>
> I will need at at least 44.1 KHz 16 bit for output to an external
> 2ch DAC which only accept CDDA format, plus AC3/DTS/DD pass-through
> to drive an external A/V processor.
>

> Thanks in advance.
>

> Ciao,
>                                 Paolo.
>
> --
> Skype: Paolo.Saggese
> http://borex.lngs.infn.it/saggese
> You can still escape from the GATES of hell: Use Linux!

I'd suggest to split the workstation and HTPC.

HTPC needs to be quiet, and I do not think "at least 6 internal SATA + at
least 1 E-SATA" will be quiet.

Today  stumbled across this post:

http://games.slashdot.org/comments.pl?sid=439630&cid=22271590 ->

http://www.fit-pc.com/new/fit-pc-product-tour/product-tour-overview.html
http://www.fit-pc.com/new/fit-pc/specification.html
.

That small machined is _fanless_, and this should make a huge difference.

Regards,
  Sergei.