Software volume mixer for S/PDIF output

Hello list,

I have recently switched to a 5.1 Dolby Digital system and was surprised
how nicely everything worked with ALSA. There is however one problem
which I have - read through a lot of forums, but did not find a
satisfying answer.

I'm using my soundcards (Terratec Aureon 5.1 = C-Media Electronics Inc
CM8738) optical output to interface my amplifier. The optical output
logically always uses maximum output so no data is lost. This makes
perfect sense to me.

However, it is sometimes inconvenient. When my phone rings and I want to
answer I'd like to make music almost completely silent by just some
mouseclicks - not standing up and turning the volume down in the
amplifier (no, it does not have a remote...).

Some programs (like XMMS) support it, but I would like to have a more
"general" solution which works with all programs in a unified way.

So my question is: does ALSA support software volume control? The loss
of quality (dynamics) is not so important to me in this case, I'd have
it almost always on 100% - but would sometimes like to quickly reduce
the volume. If it is supported, does it also work when playing back
direct AC3 streams?

If it can be done: how so?

Thanks in advance for your help,
Greetings,