Re: Master and PCM swapped.

Thanks for the quick answer, Bill. The point is that kde applications (I think that this is based in the ALSA behaviour) treat "Master" as the master volume control, rather than PCM. Therefore even though all the volume controls work (both software as the kde volume control and "hardware" as the built in keys in the keyboard and in the remote) they do not act on PCM. It is kinda strange because they control some frequencies, then when I mute "MAster" still hear some distorted sounds.

I do not think is a matter of contacting the manufacturer, but of software. Anyways, the vendor is Apple, who would not care less what happens if I do not use their OS.

On Dec 28, 2007 4:18 PM, Bill Unruh < unruh@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On Fri, 28 Dec 2007, Gabriel wrote:

> I am running ALSA on a MacBook (HDA - Intel board), running ubuntu. I have
> noticed that the  kcontrol for  master volume does not affect the whole
> systme volume, but just a part of it. The PCM volume does control the whole
> volume. Is it possible for this two controls to be swapped? how do I swap
> them  to the -most usefull- original configuration?

GEt in touch with the sound card manufacturer and tell them to swap them
AFAIK the alsa writers give the names to the various controls that the
sound card manufacturers give.
I am not sure what you mean by " affect the whole system volume".
PCM is the usual volume control on most sound cards. I have never figures
out exactly what master does.

--
=  Gabriel Villalobos