Re: arecord default settings

Mark Constable wrote:
> On 22 December 2007 13:24, Lee Revell wrote:
>
>>> carlos@chaos:~$ arecord -D plugfile out.wav
>>> Recording WAVE 'out.wav' :
>>> Unsigned 8 bit, Rate 8000 Hz, Mono

[snip]
> Seems weird to have default settings for a format
> that I have never ever seen in practical useage,
> let alone likely to ever use myself, and I'm
> pretty sure this would be the same for 99.99% of
> folks out there.

I know it's not relevant, but 8bit/8kHz mono is far and away the most
common: telephones the world over use it :-)   Admitedly the either use
mu-law or a-law to get more out of it, but 8bit/8kHz is far far more
common that you would first expect.  After that it's going to be CD
format (44.1kHz, 16 bit, stereo) simply because there are so many CDs
out there.

However, as Lee said, aplay/arecord are largely for testing stuff and
they're really not that useful for normal end-user use.  For the purpose
intended, 8kHz/8bit mono is exactly what I would expect as a default.

jch