Re: alsamixer: function snd_mixer_load failed: Inappropriate ioctl for device

Salatiel Filho wrote:
> On 12/13/07, Clemens Ladisch <cladisch@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> Salatiel Filho wrote:
>> > I am having a big trouble to make sound work on my ARM machine.
>> >
>> > alsamixer: function snd_mixer_load failed: Inappropriate ioctl for device
>>
>> Make sure that the kernel and the userspace tools are compiled with
>> exactly the same architecture and other options that can affect structure
>> sizes.
>
> They are. I compiled both.

The size of the respective parameter structures is encoded in the IOCTL
numbers.  Since it is the snd_mixer_load() function that failed, earlier
ioctl calls succeeded, so it's very likely that the reason that
SNDRV_CTL_IOCTL_ELEM_READ is unknown is that the size of struct
snd_ctl_elem_value is different.

Please put a
  printf("struct size: %u\n", sizeof(struct snd_ctl_elem_value));
(or printk) into both alsamixer and some kernel code (for example,
snd_ctl_ioctl() in core/control.c).

Regards,
Clemens