Sound problems in PCCHIPS A13G+

Hello,

My motherboard: PCCHIPS A13G+
http://www.pcchips.com.tw/PCCWebSite...uID=44&LanID=0

I'm using Ubuntu 7.10 - the Gutsy Gibbon, I was using Feisty before
and had the same problems.

The interesting thing: the system sounds all work. Some example .ogg
files that came with Ubuntu also work.
There is one example file however "fables_01_01_aesop.spx" which only
gives a very low sound, almost inaudible.
The real strange thing happens with ".avi" and mp3 files. They sound
distorted and very low, almost inaudible. Some have better/louder
sound, but still distorted, but I can understand what is being spoken,
others not.

I have tried the following approaches without much success:
installing the latest ALSA driver from the repositories(this was
alsa-driver-hg20071129
at the time I did it.)

Then I uninstalled ALSA and installed the latest OSS driver. This
helped a bit and the sound was better, but still not perfect, I still
have problems with some AVI files.
So the last thing I'm trying now is installing the Realtek audio codecs:

http://www.realtek.com.tw/downloads/downloadsView.aspx?Langid=1&PNid=24&PFid=24&Level=4&Conn=3&DownTypeID=3&GetDown=false#High%20Definition%20Audio%20Codecs

So I downloaded it and followed the instructions. I managed to
successfully compile this driver but then when I run alsamixer I get
the following error message:

alsamixer: function snd_ctl_open failed for default: No such device

I read somewhere that this is due to some OSS modules still being
loaded and that I have to remove those OSS modules. So how do I do
that?

Thanks for any help!
If you need more information just ask.

Roland

Technical details follow(including the Alsa Audio Debug):

The sound hardware of my Mobo is in the NVIDIA MCP61S Single chipset.
This chipset consists of: GeForce 6100 GPU and MCP nForce 405

codec(less /proc/asound/card0/codec#0):
Codec: Realtek ALC660-VD
Address: 0
Vendor Id: 0x10ec0660
Subsystem Id: 0x1019c601
Revision Id: 0x100001

The aplay command lists another codec: ALC861VD

 aplay -l
card 0: NVidia [HDA NVidia], device 0: ALC861VD Analog [ALC861VD Analog]
 Subdevices: 0/1
 Subdevice #0: subdevice #0

Here is the Alsa Audio Debug:

ALSA Audio Debug v0.1.0 - Mon Dec 10 16:21:22 BRST 2007
http://alsa.opensrc.org/aadebug
http://www.gnu.org/licenses/gpl.txt

Kernel ----------------------------------------------------
Linux ubuntu-desktop-1 2.6.22-14-generic #1 SMP Sun Oct 14 23:05:12
GMT 2007 i686 GNU/Linux

Loaded Modules --------------------------------------------
snd_pcm_oss            43008  0
snd_mixer_oss          18048  1 snd_pcm_oss
snd_pcm                80772  1 snd_pcm_oss
snd_seq_dummy           5124  0
snd_seq_oss            35840  0
snd_seq_midi            9728  0
snd_rawmidi            26112  1 snd_seq_midi
snd_seq_midi_event      8704  2 snd_seq_oss,snd_seq_midi
snd_seq                54768  6
snd_seq_dummy,snd_seq_oss,snd_seq_midi,snd_seq_midi_event
snd_timer              24580  2 snd_pcm,snd_seq
snd_seq_device          9740  5
snd_seq_dummy,snd_seq_oss,snd_seq_midi,snd_rawmidi,snd_seq
snd                    56964  9
snd_pcm_oss,snd_mixer_oss,snd_pcm,snd_seq_dummy,snd_seq_oss,snd_rawmidi,snd_seq,snd_timer,snd_seq_device
snd_page_alloc         11272  1 snd_pcm

Warning: module config file does not exist
This means any kernel modules will not be auto loaded
See your linux distro docs on how to create this file

Advanced Linux Sound Architecture Driver Version 1.0.15rc3.
Compiled on Dec 10 2007 for kernel 2.6.22-14-generic (SMP).