Re: Audigy 1 - wired sounds, comp reboot and not working now

Lukas Zapletal wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I was listening some MP3 file and doing some CPU-intensive
> computations today and sudendly the music turned to stream of wired
> sounds. The computer was slow a bit, after some seconds my Ubuntu
> Linux rebooted. After the reboot I cannot see my Audigy 1 card in the
> system - the only visible soundcard is the integrated Intel one.
>
> 00:1b.0 Audio device: Intel Corporation 82801H (ICH8 Family) HD Audio
> Controller (rev 02)
>         Subsystem: Giga-byte Technology Unknown device a002
>         Flags: bus master, fast devsel, latency 0, IRQ 22
>         Memory at f9200000 (64-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=16K]
>         Capabilities: [50] Power Management version 2
>         Capabilities: [60] Message Signalled Interrupts: Mask- 64bit+
> Queue=0/0 Enable-
>         Capabilities: [70] Express Unknown type IRQ 0
> 05:00.0 Class ffff: Creative Labs SB Audigy (rev 03)
>         Subsystem: Creative Labs SB0090 Audigy Player
>         Flags: medium devsel, IRQ 255
>         I/O ports at <unassigned> [disabled]
>         Capabilities: [dc] <chain broken>
>
> 05:00.2 FireWire (IEEE 1394): Creative Labs SB Audigy FireWire Port
> (prog-if 10 [OHCI])
>         Subsystem: Creative Labs SB Audigy FireWire Port
>         Flags: bus master, medium devsel, latency 64, IRQ 255
>         Memory at f9104800 (32-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=2K]
>         Memory at f9108000 (32-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=16K]
>         Capabilities: [44] <chain broken>
>
> Modules are loaded, I have not changed any configuration. It seems the
> card is gone. Its a fairly old model from 2004 (plus, minus).
> Alsamixer is giving the "alsamixer: function snd_ctl_open failed for
> default: No such device" and there are no devices in /dev/snd (only
> the Intel ones). My question is -- how to find out there is something
> wrong with the hardware?
>
> ps - any tips for good&cheap soudcard with good latency and 100%
> compatibility in Linux? could be external... Creative not preffered
> now :-(
>
> Later,

Try powering off the system, unplugging the power cable and boot up.
If that does not fix it, you will need to power off the system, unplug
the power cable and check that the sound card PCI card is slotted in
correctly.
The "Class ffff" is the problem bit. It should be 0401, but as it is
read directly from the sound card hardware, you have yourself a hardware
problem.

James