Re: about jitter... (digital does NOT mean perfect)

On Fri, 30 Nov 2007 12:19:55 +0100
Paolo Saggese <pmsa4-alsa@xxxxxxxx> wrote:

[snip]

I am sorry, but all the above said can be summarized in very few sentences:

1) any phase/frequency modulation produces a signal with infinite
spectrum;

2) analog recordings additionally have jitter due to tape elasticity
and surface imperfections - has anyone ever observed analog taper recorder
signal using an oscilloscope ? - I have;

3) one may argue about similarities and differences of spectra produced
by analog era and digital era jitter;

4) any high end digital receiver should have a PLL-based receiver that
resamples (with the same frequency) input signal end eliminates jitter
- rather, the jitter becomes the one of the PLL;

5) from my experience the decisive factor nowadays is analog circuitry
in the power amplifier and speakers, not digital jitter.

Regards,
  Sergei.