ALSA is hanging my application on shared IPC semaphore

I have an application that uses ALSA for its sound output, using the
default device which is set to go through dmix. I have multiple users
who may  log into the same machine to run the application. Initially,
any user after the first user was unable to open sound because they
couldn't get an IPC semaphore (I forget the exact error message).

So I changed my alsa.conf line to set the permissions to allow other
users to connect:

  defaults.pcm.ipc_perm 0666

Now, the first user grabs the semaphore and is marked as the owner.
Any later user will also be able to grab the semaphore, but my
application hangs on some semop() call.

I notice the cnfig option 'ipc_key_add_uid' which will make a unique
IPC key for each user, but I can't find any good documentation on
whether that's actually what I want. If I have multiple users with
multiple IPC keys, will their output all get mixed together via dmix?
What is actually going on in that case? What is the semaphore actually
protecting?

I am especially confused because I found some examples on the web that
set that configuration option to false, but commented the setting with
"allow multiple users to share device". Um... which way is which?

alsa-lib 1.0.14
kernel 2.6.18-8.el5 but using manually compiled alsa-driver 1.0.15 not
the builtin